Choosing the right shower doors for your bathroom shower is a matter of style, space, and practicality. It might be time to design the bathroom of your dreams, or maybe you just want to finish your bathroom shower quickly and affordably.
Whether either of those is true or you’re somewhere in between, you likely have questions. You might not know about all the types of shower doors, your glass shower door options, the sizing and measurements for your shower doors, costs, installation, etc.
Today’s blog provides information on all that and more. By the time you’re done reading this blog, you’ll be well-equipped to finish or upgrade your bathroom! Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about choosing shower doors.
Types of Shower Doors
You have quite a few options when choosing shower doors, which is excellent, especially if you have a goal in mind for how you want your bathroom to look. Your options include:
- Sliding doors are ideal for wide-open showers or bathtubs with two or three panels.
- Frameless doors create the illusion of more space due to the lack of metal on the exterior edges. This sleek, modern option uses strong tempered glass that doesn’t require extra support.
- Framed shower doors come with a frame, often made of metal, that supports them. You’ll open or close your shower door within its set frame. Framed shower doors include different designs, such as pivot and hinged.
- Steam shower doors are typically part of a steam room, but you can have them at home, too. A steam shower door is designed to trap all the steam inside the shower, so it doesn’t make its way into other parts of your home.
- Custom enclosures are just that – custom. You can work with your glass company to design the perfect shower door for your bathroom. Custom enclosures often combine elements of different shower doors.
Glass Shower Door Options
Now that you know what types of shower doors are available, it’s time to look at what kind of glass you want for your shower door. The type of glass you choose is an essential element of your bathroom. Popular options include:
- Low-iron (for superb clarity)
- Obscure or opaque (lets light through while giving you some privacy)
- Tinted (comes with a coating or film)
- Textured/fluted (patterned or ribbed)
- Etched (stripes and motifs)
- Rain (waterfall or bubble effects)
You could have the same type of shower door in all your bathrooms, or you could choose to incorporate different shower doors to shake things up a bit. This is a great way to add variety to your bathrooms. Or, you might want a sleek, uniform look throughout your home. Either way, you can’t go wrong.
Sizes and Measuring
Your standard shower door will measure between 22 and 36 inches wide and 72 inches high. Just be sure it fits your shower since most showers slightly differ in size.
Measuring the space will protect you from purchasing a shower door that doesn’t fit your shower. Don’t sweat it if you have an unconventional size that doesn’t work with many shower types. That’s what a custom glass company is for – they’ll know what to do!
Because there are so many different types of shower doors, it’s impossible to nail down a specific price. However, we can tell you that several factors affect the price, including where you live. Believe it or not, prices vary for the same product in different states.
Other factors include the thickness and size of the glass. Naturally, you’ll pay more for a larger glass shower door. You’ll also pay more for thicker, sturdier glass.
Choosing Your Shower Doors
You’ll have your shower doors for a long time, so it’s essential to pick the right one. And that takes time! Don’t rush your decision. Consider your budget, the aesthetic you’re going for, and the practical factors of your individual bathroom.
If your space is small, pick a shower door that optimizes that space, so no one feels cramped. You’ll want a protective coating for your shower doors if you hate soap scum and limescale build-up. A sliding door might be your best bet if you have a combination tub and shower.
Get someone else’s opinion if you can’t decide what you want for your bathroom. A friend or family member might see things differently and have a great idea that you love. Or, you could consult with a professional glass expert who can recommend what would work best for your bathroom.
How you’ll install your shower doors depends on what type you purchased. Some are easier to install than others. But regardless of what kind of shower door you choose, you’ll need the same supplies, including:
- Safety glasses
- Measuring tape/pencil
- Hack saw
- Miter box or square
- Electric drill and bits
- Screwdrivers and Allen wrenches
- Caulking gun/silicone sealant
Plus, before diving into your project, you’ll want to thoroughly clean the entire shower to ensure no residue interferes with the installation of the shower door.
Once you’re ready to start the installation of your shower doors, be sure to follow all the directions that come with your shower doors. Skipping steps will prevent you from properly installing the shower door and could prove hazardous for your family. You don’t want that!
But even if you follow all the directions correctly, you might discover that it’s harder than you thought to install your shower doors.
Choose Northern Utah Glass for Your Glass Door Installation
That’s why you should call Northern Utah Glass for your shower door installation. With over 15 years of experience, we have the expertise you need to successfully and safely install your shower doors.
Northern Utah Glass serves Weber County, Davis County, and Salt Lake County, in Utah. We’re locally owned and operated and are here to help you pick the perfect shower doors and install them for you. Enjoy peace of mind as your new shower comes together! Call us at 801.528.2800, or fill out the contact form on our website.
Let Northern Utah Glass install your shower doors today!