Commercial windows might not sound like a crucial component, but they’re gateways to natural light, fresh air, and the soul of a building.
Windows are an essential part of any commercial building. They provide ventilation, light, and a connection to the outside while also serving aesthetic purposes and contributing to the overall building design.
Today, we’re sharing everything you need to know about commercial windows, from their types to their functions and more.
An Abundance of Natural Light
Windows allow natural light to enter the building, reducing the need for artificial lighting during the day. There’s nothing worse than sitting inside, working to the glow of fluorescent lights. You might not feel it in the moment, but once you step outside, you realize just what you’ve been missing.
Natural light has been linked to improved mood and increased happiness. With these benefits, employees will be more excited to spend their time in the office, increasing productivity.
Not only will your employees’ moods rise, but you should also think about patrons visiting your building. The refreshing glow of natural light will boost your clients’ moods, and they will generally have a better experience with your company.
A lesser-known pro of commercial building windows is their purpose for ventilation. Windows play a crucial role in ventilation in buildings. Proper ventilation provides many different benefits, such as healthy indoor air quality, controlling temperature and humidity levels, and ensuring the comfort and well-being of everyone in the building.
Proper ventilation and clean air benefit everyone who steps inside your building, just like natural light. Healthy air quality can increase mental well-being and productivity. This also inhibits the spread of airborne diseases and protects against outdoor air pollutants like smog and wildfire smoke.
Windows can play a significant role in improving the aesthetics of an office space. Well-designed windows can transform the appearance of an office, creating a visually appealing and inviting environment. How can commercial windows do this? Let’s go over some of the possibilities below:
- 1. Windows helps bring the wonder of nature inside. This connection can add depth and interest to the office’s aesthetics, whether it’s a scenic landscape, an urban view, or a well-landscaped courtyard.
- 2. Well-designed windows are often used as the focal point of interior design, drawing attention to specific areas of the office. Unique window shapes, sizes, or placements can create a visual masterpiece.
- 3. Window frames significantly impact the look of an office. Thin, minimalistic frames can provide a sleek and contemporary look, while thicker frames convey a more industrial aesthetic.
Commercial building window’s design, placement, and treatment choices can greatly influence the aesthetics of the space, creating a visually appealing and harmonious environment that reflects the character and goals of the organization.
Save Money Through Energy Efficiency
Commercial windows are a significant source of heat gain or loss. Energy-efficient windows with low-emissivity coatings, double glazing, or insulated frames can help reduce energy consumption by minimizing heat transfer– just think about the savings! Not only will this benefit your wallet, but you’ll feel satisfied knowing you’re playing a part in helping the environment.
Privacy and Security
This might seem counterintuitive, but windows can help provide your building with both privacy and security. The trick is trying to balance the need for natural light and outdoor views with the need to protect sensitive information and ensure the safety of occupants. Here’s how windows can contribute to privacy and security in an office:
- 1. Privacy-When discussing privacy, here are some ways Windows helps secure the privacy of the business, employees, and patrons.
- a. Window coverings – Blinds, curtains, shades, or frosted films allow privacy at the hat’s drop. These coverings can be very user-friendly and help control the level of visibility from both inside and outside the office.
- b. Window placement – Window placement is critical to ensuring the privacy of an office. If there are meeting rooms or offices where the occupants may want a little more privacy, consider placing windows higher up so you can enjoy their benefits while maintaining privacy.
- c. Window films – Many different types of window films can be added to help protect the privacy of others while adding a nice touch to the overall look of the office.
- 2. Security – Security is something no one should worry about when entering a commercial building. Windows can help improve the security of everyone inside, and here’s how:
- a. Emergency exit – Windows can serve as an excellent option for an emergency exit. When making emergency plans for the buildings, make sure that windows are equipped with the necessary safety features.
- b. Security cameras – While installing security cameras, make sure they are positioned near windows to monitor activity around the perimeter of the building, enhancing overall security.
- c. Laminated glass – Laminated glass is designed to resist shattering upon impact. It enhances security by making it more difficult for intruders to break the glass to gain access.
Commercial windows can provide diverse functions, from providing natural light and ventilation to enhancing aesthetics and energy efficiency. Commercial building windows are the key to creating a comfortable, efficient, and beautiful workplace while meeting the safety and privacy needs of the organization.
Commercial Window Replacement
Now that we have gone over the endless benefits of commercial windows, let’s talk about commercial window replacement. Commercial window replacement is a significant project that requires careful planning, proper execution, and compliance with building codes and regulations. Here are the steps to guide you through the process:
- 1. Assessment and Planning – If you have plans to improve your windows, first examine the existing windows in the space. Assess the condition of the current windows to determine if they are damaged, inefficient, or outdated. Consider the reasons for replacement, such as improving energy efficiency, enhancing aesthetics, or complying with building codes.
- 2. Project goals – Nothing is worse than going into a project without a clear direction. Ask yourself, “Why are we replacing these windows?” and “What are we trying to achieve?” With these questions in mind, you will have a clear vision and direction for the commercial window replacement project.
- 3. Budget – After the goals have been set, ensure a clear budget is in place. This will also help guide your choices.
- 4. Window Type – Choose the type of windows that best suit the needs of the project. Your project goals and budget will drive the type of windows you are looking at. Consider factors such as energy efficiency, durability, aesthetics, and maintenance requirements.
- 5. Choosing a Company – Do your research! Choose a reputable window supplier or manufacturer. Consider factors like product quality, warranty, and installation services. If there is a commercial window replacement project, check out Northern Utah Glass. We are here to help you with every step of the way.
- 6. Professional Installation – Hire a licensed and experienced contractor for the installation. Ensure they have expertise in commercial window replacement projects. Here at Northern Utah Glass, we have the experts to help install your glass without any worry.
- 7. Proper Installation – Here at Northern Utah Glass, we ensure that windows are installed following manufacturer guidelines, including proper flashing, insulation, and sealing to prevent leaks and drafts.
- 8. Safety Measures – Any reputable glass replacement company will ensure all safety measures are followed before, during, and after installation.
- 9. Communication – Clear communication with everyone in the building is vital to a smooth project. Let people know about the project and the schedule to occupants in advance.
- 10. Final Inspection – Congratulations! Now that the project is complete, it’s time for one final inspection. It’s also time to obtain any required certifications or inspections from local authorities. Make sure that everything is up to code.
Do You Need Assistance With Your Commercial Glass Windows? Northern Utah Glass Is Here To Serve You
Northern Utah Glass is here to help if you need new commercial windows, glass repairs, or anything in between.
Northern Utah Glass is your trusted supplier of high-quality glass solutions in Northern Utah. Our trust, hard effort, and honesty values motivate us to assure safety, customer happiness, energy efficiency, and affordability.
We specialize in high-quality residential and commercial window and glass installation and repair in Davis, Weber, and Salt Lake Counties. Contact our trusted team online or at 801-820-9705 today for a free quote, to schedule an in-home estimate, or to learn more.