If you love houseplants and are looking for a way to add some greenery to your home, garden windows are the perfect way to let in more light.
Whether you want to add a small herb garden to your kitchen, have a place to display your collection of succulents, or want to add a miniature greenhouse to your home, a garden window can help you achieve a plant lover’s heaven.
What is a Garden Window?
These are specialty windows that protrude from the side of the home, with glass on three sides. This structure allows for optimal light exposure, making it a great place for plants to thrive. A bay window is a similar idea but is typically much more prominent, with a central fixed window and venting windows on both sides. These side windows are usually double-hung or casement windows. On the other hand, a garden window typically has casement windows that act as end vents and a glass roof to maximize sun exposure.
What Are the Benefits of Garden Windows?
There are many reasons you might choose to add a garden window to your home, but here are some of the top benefits:
- Allow maximum natural light. With sunlight entering all three sides and the roof, a garden window adds beautiful natural light to your room. This type of window is an especially great feature for dark rooms or during a gloomy winter.
- Better sightline. You will have a much better sightline since a garden window protrudes from the house and has windows on the sides. This is yet another way to enjoy the outdoor views or even make it easier to watch your children play outside.
- An ideal plant environment. Just as greenhouses provide ample sunlight and warmth for plants, a garden window creates a warm, sunny location for all your favorite houseplants. With the increased popularity of houseplants, having a beautiful sunny garden window makes a stunning focal point.
- Increased ventilation. Many of these windows feature side windows that can open for ventilation, increasing air circulation for your room.
- Many different styles. Whether your home is a craftsman style, a Cape Cod, or modern, there is a style of garden window that will enhance your home. With cottagecore on the rise, adding a quaint garden window might be the finishing touch for your home.
What Types of Plants Grow Well in a Garden Window?
If your window is located in the kitchen, adding garden windows is a great option to grow an herb garden. Most herbs require 6 to 8 hours of sunlight each day, making the kitchen garden window an ideal spot. Another excellent plant choice is a cactus or succulent. These sun-loving plants will be right at home in your garden window. Spider plants, rubber trees, dracaenas, and jade are good options for adding some natural greenery.
For Professional Installation, Call Northern Utah Glass Company
If you’re ready to add garden windows to your home, turn to our experienced professionals at Northern Utah Glass Company. Whether you are in Ogden or Salt Lake City, Utah, we provide professional, affordable service. Give us a call at 801-528-2800 or contact us online to schedule a free in-home estimate.